Favorite

 

Rated NR

Drama, Thriller
This low-budget, no-name-cast, Southern-gothic film has a few strikes against it. The soundtrack is painfully indie, with lots of open-hand acoustic guitar that spells “mood” with a capital “OOD.” And lead Michael Shannon looks like he just got out of acting class and is really eager to try out that new look they showed him. (It involves squinting and frowning!) But in spite of that, if you give it a few minutes, Shotgun Stories winds up redeeming itself. The story is about three brothers who get into a feud with their cross-town half-brothers, the children of their father’s second wife. There’s blood and sorrow and snakes and dogs and all the things that make the imaginary South so compelling. I won’t say it’s entirely successful, but writer/director Jeff Nichols is someone to watch. There’s about an 80 percent chance that his next film will be a painfully self-conscious and arty family drama that could suck the life out of a 16-year-old rave girl, but there’s still a 20 percent chance that he’ll see the best elements of Shotgun Stories and become a top-notch, small-film director.

Reviews/comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a review


Roll over stars and click to rate.

What others are saying (1)

Portland Mercury Shotgun Stories A Succinct Review for the Discerning Cinephile by Zac Pennington 05/08/2008

Now Showing

  1. Sat 21
  2. Sun 22
  3. Mon 23
  4. Tue 24
  5. Wed 25
  6. Thu 26
  7. Fri 27

    Find reviews & showtimes for all films in town.

© 2017 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation