Here's how it all went down: Two rounds of preliminary voting were held earlier this summer--one for Tucson Weekly readers, and another for a team of critics made up of music writers, local club-bookers, DJs and others with an intimate knowledge of the local music landscape. The top vote-getters in each round were then placed on a multiple-choice online ballot; this year's winners were picked by readers from that list.
We are extremely pleased with the outcome. The votes we received--from nearly 1,500 readers--in the final round of voting resulted in a far more well-rounded list of winners than we've had in previous years.
Of course, none of this would have been possible were it not for the input of our readers, who took the time to vote. We sincerely and wholeheartedly thank you for your efforts.
Likewise, we'd also like to thank: Sean Fitzpatrick, who donated his time to design the online ballot, and was the technical mastermind behind the entirety of our local music Web site, TAMMIES.com; Annie Holub, who counted the preliminary readers' ballots; Jeb Schoonover, who produces the TAMMIES ceremony each year; and Jimmy Boegle, who did just about everything else TAMMIES-related not mentioned here.
Additionally, we'd like to thank those who participated in the preliminary round of critics' voting:
- Mark Beef, former booker/promoter at Vaudeville Cabaret, and a Tucson Weekly contributor.
- Dan Hernandez, booker/promoter at Club Congress.
- Annie Holub, Tucson Weekly contributor.
- Polly Higgins, of the Tucson Citizen.
- Duncan Hudson, music director for KCXI FM 91.3.
- James Hudson, writer and managing editor of TucsonScene.com, and a Tucson Weekly contributor.
- Kris Kerry, booker/promoter at Plush.
- Adrienne Lake, blogger for AZNightBuzz.com.
- Jim Lipson, Tucson Weekly contributor.
- Jamie Manser, music editor of the Downtown Tucsonan.
- Stuart Oliver, former booker/promoter at The Hut.
- Jeb Schoonover, music promoter.
- David Slutes, entertainment director for Hotel Congress.
- Kevin Smith, staff reporter at the Arizona Daily Star.
- Laurie Starr, programmer of Starr Tracks at KXCI FM 91.3.
- Dan Twelker, programmer of Locals Only at KXCI FM 91.3.
- And myself.
Congratulations to all of this year's winners. Until next year ... we'll see you in the clubs.