Police Dispatch

Drunken, shirtless and belligerent is no way to go through life



MARCH 12, 2:37 A.M.

A drunken, shirtless and belligerent man who was covered in blood tried to evade the law, but when a deputy detained the man at gunpoint, he begged not to be arrested because he had to go to work the next morning, according to a Pima County Sheriff's Department report.

The incident began when a deputy responded to a call from a woman who claimed that her very intoxicated ex-boyfriend had broken into her house. The deputy located the man driving his truck (badly) away from the house and activated his patrol car lights to stop him. The man at first sped away, but then turned around and the truck screeched to a halt in front of the deputy.

Instead of waiting for the deputy to approach the truck, the man started staggering toward the deputy, his naked chest coated with blood. When he wouldn't stop, the deputy drew his gun, forced the man to the ground and handcuffed him. The deputy then discovered that the man's hair was saturated with blood from a gaping gash in his head.

Though he appeared to be badly injured and obviously intoxicated—with red eyes, unsteady balance and slurred speech—the man started blabbering that he "was not doing anything." He said he didn't want to go to jail and pleaded with the deputy to let his brother pick him up and take him home so he wouldn't miss work.

As he continued to sway and to drip blood, the man claimed that it was actually his ex-girlfriend who was the criminal because "everyone" at her house was using heroin.

When deputies interviewed the woman, she said her ex had been "partying" before he came to her house and started a fight with her brother. The two men ended up in the bathroom, where the ex-boyfriend fell and split his head open on the toilet, she said.

He then left the house and started throwing rocks at it, breaking several windows, she said.

The brother, who apparently lived at the house, denied having a physical altercation with the man but admitted that he "blew up" at him while protecting his family and himself. The brother then started spewing obscenities at deputies, who soon saw why he might be angry: Several windows of the house were indeed broken, in addition to the windshield of the brother's truck.

When an ambulance arrived at the scene, the man, still coated in blood, refused treatment and "an expensive ride to the hospital." So he was taken to jail instead.