TucsonWeekly.com commenter AZ/DC wrote yesterday that he believes "readers will all benefit" if, as part as my second stint here at the Weekly, I stop writing about Insane Clown Posse or "mostly obscure 90's (sic) R&B acts." Sincerity can be difficult to read over the internet, but I can't imagine anyone would actually have a problem with '90s R&B coverage, so I'm going to assume AZ/DC, whoever he or she is, must be joking. So, onward with the paper's transition into a New Jack Swing fanzine!
Now after the cut, and inspired by AZ/DC, We Got Cactus presents Dan Gibson's ten favorite '90s R&B tracks, starting with number ten, in YouTube form above, Sparkle (ft. R. Kelly) with "Careful".
9. Ghost Town DJ's, "My Boo" (1996)
8. Tony! Toni! Toné!, "Let's Get Down" (feat. DJ Quik) (1996)
7. Maxwell, "Fortunate" (1999)
6. Mary J. Blige, "I'm Goin' Down" (1995)
5. Groove Theory, "Tell Me" (1995)
4. SWV, "Right Here/Human Nature" (1993)
3. Aaliyah, "Are You That Somebody" (1998)
2. R. Kelly, "Bump n' Grind" (1994)
and at number one, a song so great, even Rhianna couldn't ruin it: Ginuwine, "Pony" (1996)
You're welcome, AZ/DC.