Friday, August 18, 2017

San Antonio's Pre-K Program

Posted By on Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM

click to enlarge COURTESY OF BIGSTOCK
  • Courtesy of Bigstock
Tucson will be voting on Strong Start, an initiative to fund a preschool program through a half cent sales tax. San Antonio, Texas, has created a similar system, with significant differences. A long Politico article has the details. Here's a brief summary.

San Antonio voted in a 1/8-cent tax to fund a pre-K program, with 54 percent voting yes. The size of the sales tax increase was the product of necessity; it was the most state law would allow. The city set up four pre-K centers, three of them built from scratch, to teach 2,000 children a year, a tenth of the city's 4-year olds (Strong Start Tucson's goal to place 8,000 three and four year olds).
The centers open at 7:15 a.m. for breakfast. The regular school day ends at 3 p.m., but about 40 percent of the kids stay for an extended day program for children of working parents, which goes to 6 p.m. Many parents say they couldn’t enroll their children in pre-school without the extended day, says Sculley. Pre-K 4 SA is free for 80 percent of the families, who qualify under the Texas law for disadvantaged or military households. The other 20 percent are middle-class families with an income of more than 185 percent of the poverty line—$44,000 for a family of four. They pay tuition based on a sliding scale.

The pre-K teachers' average salary is $66,500, more than the average San Antonio teacher salary of $51,400. As a result, the centers have found it relatively easy to attract teachers, a number of whom have come from the city's schools. Many of the teachers have received high ratings from an outside evaluator. The centers all use a curriculum from HighScope, based in Michigan, which emphasizes active, participatory learning over worksheets and skill drills. The program began in 2013, so it's a bit early to judge the educational and social results over the long term, but the implementation of the program looks to have been smooth and successful.

The program has its local detractors, of course. And given San Antonio's 1.5 million population, it educates a smaller percentage of the city's children than Strong Start Tucson proposes. If Strong Start passes, the San Antonio model is one of a number of programs around the country the board should study and evaluate to see what can be learned.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Today | Thu | Fri | Sat | Sun | Mon | Tue
Tucson International Mariachi Conference

Tucson International Mariachi Conference @ AVA: Anselmo Valencia Tori Amphitheater

Thu., April 26, 6-8 p.m., Fri., April 27, 7-9 p.m. and Sat., April 28, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

All of today's events | Staff Picks

Staff Pick

Tucson International Mariachi Conference

The Tucson International Mariachi Conference was created to pass mariachi traditions to the next generation. 4/26 @… More

@ AVA: Anselmo Valencia Tori Amphitheater Thu., April 26, 6-8 p.m., Fri., April 27, 7-9 p.m. and Sat., April 28, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Casino del Sol, 5655 W. Valencia Road.

» More Picks

Submit an Event Listing

Popular Content

  1. Eve of a Strike: Teachers and Districts Prep To Walk out of Schools This Week (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  2. Diane Douglas: "Public Servants Shouldn't Unionize" (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  3. Conservatives Told: Keep Criticizing Teachers, But Not About Their Pay or Perks (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  4. The Strike Is On: Arizona Teachers Prepared for Walkout Next Week (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  5. Catalina Brewing Beers Good News for Striking Teachers (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)

© 2018 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation