Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Access Tucson Gets New Funding To Keep Station Going For Two More Months

Posted By on Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:00 PM

As part of its approval of a $1.4 billion budget last night, the Tucson City Council agreed to kick $25,000 to Access Tucson to keep the public-access station from going dark over the next few months.

The city is combining the public-access facilities with the city's own Channel 12 in a new community media center that is designed to handle both those responsibilities as well as some new responsibilities. You can can see the details here.

But while the city goes through the process of selecting a new organization to run the community media center, it will continue funding the cost of putting programming on the Access channel. The downtown studio closed to the public last month.

Access Tucson Executive Director Lisa Horner said she was surprised by the council's decision, which was hammered out as the council members discussed the budget. 

"Clearly, there was political will to ensure that the channels for community media not cease to program while the city channel maintained funding as well," Horner said.

Tags: ,

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

© 2020 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation