Wednesday, August 14, 2013
[Obligatory Entertainment Tabloid Lede] Watch your back, Queen Bey: There's a new First Lady of Hip-Hop — and it's the First Lady of the United States! Holla! [End Obligatory Entertainment Tabloid Lede]
But seriously, Michelle Obama is actually behind a hip-hop album, featuring roughly three musicians I've heard of, and a whole bunch of other people who arrange sounds with the intent of making them aurally pleasing. Though the point of this release isn't actually to topple the Carter-Knowles Empire (as if even the nation's chief executive has the power to do that at this point, much less his wife), it has similarly lofty intentions — namely, to end childhood obesity as part of Mrs. Obama's "Let's Move" campaign.
The tracklist for the album, which I would totally listen to if it happened to arrive for free on my doorstep, can be seen below. Welcome back to musical relevance, Doug E. Fresh (and, to a lesser extent, Jordin Sparks)!
1. “U R What You Eat” f/ Salad Bar (Matisyahu, Ariana Grande, Travis Barker)
2. “Everybody” f/ Jordin Sparks, Doug E. Fresh, Dr. Oz, Ryan Beatty, Hip Hop MD
3. “Let’s Move” f/ Doug E. Fresh, Artie Green, Chauncey Hawkins
4. “Just Believe” featuring Ashanti, Gerry Gunn, Artie Green, Robbie Nova
5. “Veggie Luv” f/ Monifah and J Rome
6. “Hip Hop FEET” f/ DMC and Artie Green
7. “Stronger” f/ Shayna Steele, Jeremy Jordan, Our Time Theater kids, and E-Street Band guitarist Nils Lofgren
8. “Give Myself a Try” f/ Ryan Beatty
9. “Jump Up” f/ Brady Rymer and the Little band that Could
10. “Hip Hop LEAN” f/ Artie Green
11. “Pass the Rock” f/ Iman Schumpert and Artie Green
12. “Good Living” f/ Ashton Jones
13. “Beautiful” f/ Daisy Grant and Artie Green
14. “Change the Game” f/ The Happiness Club, featuring Naledge
15. “Wanna Jump (Let’s Move)” f/ Paul Burch
16. “Mother May I” f/ Amelia Robinson
17. “We Like vegetables” f/ Los Barkers!
18. “Get Up Sit Up” f/ Babi Floyd
19. “One Step Forward” f/ Samite