Monday, June 24, 2013
Full Sun Cactus Pot Tips:
1. Be sure the base of the plant is not buried in soil or rock. If need be, remove some soil away from the base so the top roots are exposed.
2. Add some landscape rock to the top of the soil and snug it around the plant stem(s).
3. Deep water the cactus every two weeks.
4. Use the shower setting on your hose nozzle or a watering can with a shower nozzle.
5. Water the entire area of the soil. It is fine to get the leaves and flowers wet.
6. An average of 30 seconds of the shower setting is usually enough water for a 20”-24” pot. Larger pots need a proportionate increase amount of time.
7. Water should drain out from the bottom drainage holes.
8. At the same time, use the jet setting on your hose nozzle to blast water onto all plant surfaces. This is a great way to prevent and treat pest and disease. Be sure you are doing this in the morning so the plant has plenty of time to dry during the day.
9. Use a water soluble fertilizer monthly to help replenish nutrients during its active growing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for the Potted Desert News by visiting www.potteddesert.com Receive monthly potted garden information as well as SW Arizona freeze alerts, heat and wind advisories.