Yesterday, I detailed my list of must-try Tucson restaurants, for the benefit of a reader. Here's Karyn Zoldan's list. Still to come: lists from Rita Connelly and Renee Downing.
- What about a Sonoran hot dog at El Guero Canelo? There's a location on South 12th Avenue and a newer location on Oracle Road near Grant Road. If you don't get there, J-Bar has a Sonoran hot dog on the menu all the time now.
- Then there are great fish tacos at Pico de Gallo/Taqueria South Sixth Avenue at 36th Street. Also try the pico de gallo, which is spears of fruits sprinkled with chili powder, and wash it all down with deliciously fresh and creamy horchata. Next door is a small ice cream joint that has some really original flavors of Mexican ice cream.
- Bobo's on Grant Road just west of Country Club Road has the best caramelized banana pancakes for breakfast.
- The Red Garter has a good cheeseburger, but you can probably find cheeseburgers anywhere. Sit on the patio, as the inside is too smoky. Bob Dobbs has good burgers, too.
- At Grill downtown, you can have tater tots.
- At Café Poca Cosa, I suggest ordering the house plate, as they will give you tastes of three different things.
- Rocco's Pizzeria on Broadway Boulevard rocks with pizzas and meatball sandwiches.