Why Break Up?
We've received a lot of kind e-mails, people asking why the band will be going into retirement next year. Of course, with a decision like this, the reasons are multifold. Here are 10 explanations I have been giving to journalists:
--Dean Wareham, Oct. 5, 2004, www.fuzzywuzzy.com
- Rock and roll is killing my life.
- The universe is expanding.
- There are too many bands out there, traveling around, singing their songs, etc.
- Too much time spent in 15-passenger vans. According to 20/20, these things flip over.
- Too many hands to shake; that means germs.
- Too many dinners at Wendy's.
- People are dying in Iraq.
- This is what bands do (with a few exceptions, like R.E.M. and Metallica, and the Rolling Stones). Those bands, however, are multi-billion dollar corporations. You don't break that up unless the government forces you to.
- Hotel Electravision.
- Time to Quit.