If the chattering classes of Sam Hughes can't bear the sight of military overflights, and can't make the slightest concession to patriotism by enduring a little jet rumble, perhaps relocation to one of the world's many geopolitical freeloaders might be in order. Canada comes to mind, as does much of Europe. Bon voyage.
The United States is overwhelmed by Katrina, high oil prices, homeland insecurity and many other problems. Our schools in many states are overflowing due largely to immigration-related enrollments. Would it be wise to continue to allow millions of foreign-born people to enter this country yearly who consume energy and need jobs, education and many other social services?
Teresa should know that Principal Norman Bernstein in a high school in Southern California was beaten unconscious in early 1999 by Latinos who told him: "We don't want you here any more, white principal." This spring, black American students in a high school in Los Angeles were told by Latino kids to "go back to Africa."
Isn't it wise to adopt an immigration moratorium for the sake of all legal residents?
Executive director, Diversity Alliance for a Sustainable America
The last time I checked, 66 percent of the people in the United States are not satisfied with our president's handling of our occupation of Iraq. I suppose the other 34 percent believe Adam and Eve rode to church on dinosaurs.
Just thought I'd try and humor ya. Adios,
Beryllium seems to cause a hypersensitivity reaction in a small minority of individuals, which makes it difficult to determine a safe exposure level, as a level that causes no harm in most can be devastating to these individuals. The currently recommended safe levels may be misleading, as only a very short time of increased exposure might deposit enough beryllium to eventually trigger hypersensitivity. Hypersensitivity can be tested for after exposure, but by then, it may be too late. I am not aware that any tests exist to identify susceptible individuals before exposure.
I am not an expert in this area, but my personal feelings are that all persons who might be exposed to respirable beryllium compounds in the workplace should be informed that there exists a remote possibility that they might be unusually sensitive to beryllium and that it might make them sick. If a pre-exposure screening test for beryllium hypersensitivity exists, it should be widely used. All employees should be screened not only with appropriate lung function tests, but also for beryllium hypersensitivity, and frequently. It is my opinion that previously adopted standards are not adequate to address the hypersensitivity phenomenon.
Mark Mecikalski, M.D., FCCP
Why Do We Still Have Religion in 2005-2006?
In his Dec. 15 column, Tom Danehy asks if anyone else finds it "absolutely bizarre that we still have cheerleaders in the 21st century." Well, sure, count me in; that's an easy pitch to hit, although taking a shot at the underlying reasons would have been more interesting than devoting half the column to safety.
Danehy's question made me think of other bizarre things we still have in the 21st century, and for me, religion as we know it ranks way above cheerleading, what with--depending on your persuasion--virgin birth, resurrection and other miracles, heaven, hell (everyone in one tight space, talking on cell phones), angels, devils, souls, saints, answered prayers and God, under whom this nation stands, undivided. The underlying reasons for all this would make for a really interesting column.
The Red Star, as I like to call it, has been showing little imagination and can only, it seems, parrot the some old conservative-bashing stories day after day, often ignoring the truth to do so.
Eugene Cole, a registered Democrat