usayouthsports 
Member since Mar 3, 2014


Stats

Friends

  • No friends yet.
Become My Friend Find friends »

Recent Comments

Re: “Pedersen on Sports

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your comments. I disagree with your comments that USA is the worst run. You are basing you comments on your opinion with out going out and researching your facts. I have heard many horror stories from parents about other leagues. They are thankful for what we provide. Every season, I tell parents that we give more power to the parents to run their teams. I also tell them that their experience is going to be based on the effort they put in. USA is one of the more flexible and understanding organizations to parents. Also one of the most affordable. We do not hire coaches or ask for coach fees. We want families to participate.

In the short time that USA has been in existence, we have done great things for many kids and families. You are concentrating on the 0.01% of the league. the other 99.99% is very positive.
We have been working with some schools by offering sports clinics
We have build a relationship and support with U of A Women's soccer and basketball.
We encourage kids to do well in school.
We offer scholarships for low income families. (about 30% are low income in our league)
We hire youth and USA alumni to help with running games and setting up for game days.
We offer soccer camps during the summer
We helped Joe Blair in providing players to participate in one of his basketball camps.
We recently sent 9 youth referees to get their certification in soccer.
We are offering a chance for coaches to get trained at no cost for soccer through AYSA.
We teamed with City of Tucson Parks and Rec and sponsored a hot shot competition in basketball.
etc... I can keep going.

Each site is designed to be similar - baseball, soccer and Flag football are all done at each site and is designed for parents to be able to be at 1 place and allow their kids to participate. On the baseball field, tball plays first, then coach pitch then kids pitch.
In soccer, 3-4 yr olds have their own field, 5-6 yr olds have their own field and 7-8 Yr olds and 9-10 year olds have their own fields. We use the dimensions that pcjsl uses in club soccer. 11-13 year olds will either have their own field or will wait til field opens up after the little kids play - this is dependent on our parks permit. Flag football has their own field, we also, like baseball, start the younger kids first.

Unfortunately, Basketball gyms are at a premium in this town. City of Tucson Parks & Rec Gyms are so overused, a program like ours has a hard time to find play time. I'm my opinion, we, the community needs to help find more money to build gyms for our Youth. We now have the Sporting Chance Center, which has 5 basketball courts and is a top notch facility located in NW part of Tucson, but it is not enough for this town. We need to more courts in South Tucson, East Tucson and Sahuarita.

Contrary to your opinion, I do not run it all by myself, I have many people help. I have over 30 referees we contract. Gym costs are very high compared to the other sports. I do have many volunteers that are helping me, and I have been trying delegate. But as you know, when you delegate, there is always a learning curve.

Yes it is a lot for 1 person, fortunately we have many parents that volunteer to help out. We are always looking for volunteers and sponsors. I would like to ask the community, if you would like to become part of a our organization, please contact me directly by email. usayouthsports@hotmail.com

I would like to thank Tucson Parks & Rec, Pima County Natural Resourses, TUSD, Vail school District, Sunnyside School District, Sahurarita School Districtt, Faith Lutheran Church, Aardvark Printing, Awards to go, all the charter schools, Sporting Chance Center, U of A rec Center and all the vendors, sponsors, volunteers and staff for all you do to help me run USA youth sports.

Ed Payan
President of USA Youth Sports, A Charitable Non Profit 501 c3 organization
The best multi-sports youth league in Pima County

6 likes, 3 dislikes
Posted by usayouthsports on 03/03/2014 at 3:06 PM

Favorite Places

  • None.
Find places »

Saved Events

  • Nada.
Find events »

Saved Stories

  • Nope.
Find stories »

Custom Lists

  • Zip.
 

© 2016 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation