Narrow Search

Comment Archives: stories: News & Opinion: Today

Re: “Endorsements, Part 2

Perhaps next election, you could manage to publish your endorsements sooner? Mail-in ballots were sent 10/12.

Posted by jjmarks on 10/28/2016 at 4:55 AM

Re: “NAACP Ratifies Resolution Calling For a Moratorium on New Charter Schools

In response to "Try getting a graduate degree in education"

You misinterpret Hume. Hume doesn't deny cause and effect. Let me assure you that Hume acknowledges that if you light a torch and put it under your finger your flesh will burn.

What Hume is referring to is false associations and education is loaded with them. For example high performing students are so closely associated with Advanced Placement that surely Advance Placement causes at least some of that high performance. But, in the NELS study where they followed thousands of students from 8th grade on into adult life and they could carefully compare high SES students, they found no impact from Advanced Placement with the exception of one Advanced Placement class: Calculus.

In the late 90's, the National Reading Panel spent $10 million analyzing 10,000 studies, the top 10,000 studies selected from prestigious journals, and found that 96% of them weren't worth the paper they were written on. Even the other 4% had significant flaws.

Education culture is a mess precisely for the issues that Hume raises in his famous discourses on cause and effect. This is why the huge longitudinal studies are so important. NELS and the ECLS are guiding lights for education policy because they meet Hume's standards for cause and effect.

Posted by on 10/28/2016 at 3:59 AM

© 2016 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation