GIO TACO, the unsuspecting face of the Weekly's "Keep Tucson Shitty" debate from a while back, has finally announced its opening date. It will be open to the public 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 21.
“When we were first inspired by the idea of doing tacos in Tucson a little differently, we knew they had to be done in a totally unexpected fashion,” stated Brian Metzger of Metzger Family Restaurants
Boy, did he live up to the hype in conception of the menu:
• Gio, with a home-made corn tortilla shell, house-smoked and coffee and chipotle-rubbed pork belly, seared butternut squash and pumpkin seed salsa;
• Fishy Pig, with a home-made corn tortilla shell, bacon-wrapped albacore tuna, street vendor corn, fresh avocado and pickled onions;
• Chipper Fish, with a home-made corn tortilla shell, beer-battered and fried Atlantic cod, malted cabbage, lemon and herbs, crispy pickles and plantain chips;
• M’s Veggie, with a raw shaved beet shell, chayoti squash “steak,” heirloom baby kale slaw and street vendor corn;
• Grilled Steak, with a home-made corn tortilla shell, pickled chayoti squash, street vendor corn salsa and Rogue smokey blue cheese;
• Citrus Chicken, with a home-made corn tortilla shell, citrus-marinated and grilled chicken breast, house-smoked Fresno chili, fresh epazote herbs and Sonoma Dry jack cheese;
• Duck Mole, with a home-made corn tortilla shell, cherry and chocolate mole, fresh cilantro, lime crema and fresh orange segments
I'm all for Tucson nostalgia. Hell, I would take two, standard carne asada tacos, out of a cart, right now! But with fresh, innovative and promising dishes like the ones above, how can you be mad?
Looking for something fun and inspirational this summer? Take a look at the many art and photography… More