The Boys and Girls Club of Tucson's annual fundraising gala, The Event, drew more than a thousand people to the La Encantada shopping center on Sunday night for an evening of food, music and philanthropy.
What wasn't on the original schedule, though, were fireworks.
A propane tank exploded during a cooking demonstration early on during The Event, resulting in four attendees suffering minor burns, Pima County Sheriff spokesman Dep. Tom Peine said. Two of the people were transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
Event organizers said the explosion caused only a minor disturbance to the fundraiser, which continued on as planned without any other incidents.
"It was literally a blip on the radar screen," said Lorraine Morgan, vice president of communications for the Boys and Girls Club. "The comments from our guests were that it was the best (Event) ever. It was a great fundraiser."
Butterfly Magic is a fully immersive experience that surrounds you with rare butterflies, tropical plants and orchids… More