Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Weekly Joys

Posted By on Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Working at a weekly newspaper can be weird sometimes.

Take the new cover story, on the UA basketball team. The story largely focuses on the fact that head coach Lute Olson is/has been away from the team on a mysterious leave of absence. The piece, by Tom Danehy, was originally slated to run last week, but we bumped it to this week so we could give Project White House some extra time.

Anyway ... after Danehy made some additions late Sunday (Nov. 25) to the story following the UA's close road loss to Kansas, the story was all ready to go. Then came the news Monday night (Nov. 26) that Olson showed up to practice and was talking about maybe possibly perhaps coming back. The team promised statements would be released the next day, on Tuesday. Our deadline day.

Thus, we prepared to rewrite our piece on the fly, on deadline, depending on whatever the announcement(s) was/were about Olson's return.

Except an annoucement never came, really. Finally, at the basketball team's late-afternoon press conference, interim coach Kevin O'Neill said, basically, that everything remained the same. Olson remained on leave indefinitely, he said (although Olson may show up to some practices. Or something.).

Thus, other than a few rewritten sentences, we went forward with Danehy's story as-is, hoping that nothing major changed between our Tuesday-evening deadline and the time the story ended up in the hands of our readers.

So, with that, here is the new issue. Enjoy, and feel free to comment on its contents here.

Your Photo Radar Update for Thursday, Nov. 29

Posted By on Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 2:08 PM

The Tucson Police Department's photo-radar van will be in the following areas on Thursday, Nov. 29:

• 7 to 9 a.m.: Whitmore Elementary, 5300 Block E. Glenn Street
  • 9:30 to 1:30 p.m.: On Golf Links Road between Swan Road and Aviation Parkway
  • 2 to 4 p.m.: Alice Vail Middle School crossing on Craycroft Road
  • 4:30 to 8 p.m.: On Fifth Street near Craycroft Road

Life Is Crap: Eat Carnitas! Part 1

Posted By on Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I never really thought of my life as one big Oprah show, until I began to frequent two Mexican fast-food joints this past month: Nico's and Los Betos. It was at the drive-thru windows of these establishments that I came to grips with two issues I now wrestle with: emotional eating, and my love of carnitas.

Carnitas in the form of a burro is the food I loved best this past month when life threw me a fast one. Carnitas is meat, and the best kind of meat--PORK--cut in little bite size pieces cooked and seasoned in a way that could bring Dr. Atkins back from the grave (hold his tortilla).

I don't like drama. The result is that sometimes, I act like I come from the loins of Spock. But if I don't change soon, my ass will be too big to fly coach.

The other problem with emotional eating is that in my happy life, I love food. This doesn't bode well for a woman in need of a good diet. I also can't use the excuse anymore that the majority of my roundness comes from my years-ago habit of imbibing too many pints of dark dark stout. (I also tell myself often that stout pounds are permanent--something no diet can rid.)

The bright side of my recent Mexican meltdown? I discovered Nico's makes the best carnitas: Surely, its pork is marinated in Prozac. Reality? Fatty meat rules. Los Betos is still there for me, especially at 2 a.m. at Campbell and Broadway. Nico's, however, now holds my carnitas-loving heart.

I'm on the mend now. I haven't been there in a week. It's just nice to know Nico's is there when life is crap.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Your Photo Radar Update for Wednesday, Nov. 28

Posted By on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM

The Tucson Police Deparment's photo-radar van will be in the following areas on Wednesday, Nov. 28:

• 7 to 9 a.m.: Tolson Elementary, 1000 Block South Greasewood Road
  • 9:30 to 1:30 p.m.: On 22nd Street near Starr Pass Boulevard
  • 2 to 4 p.m.: At Menlo Park on Grande Avenue near St. Mary's Road
  • 4:30 to 8 p.m.: On Greasewood Road near Speedway Boulevard

Fire in the Belly!

Posted By on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Project White House has its first candidate!

For those who came in late: Last week, TW debuted Project White House, a foray into Reality Journalism that’s encouraging readers to launch their own campaign for president.

It turns out that all you have to do to get your name on Arizona's Feb. 5 presidential primary ballot is fill out a form that’s we’ve conveniently posted here. Feel free to download it, get it notarized and send it to Arizona Secretary of State Jan Brewer.

But if you want us to cover your campaign, you should send us your platform—even if it’s nothing more than an essay of 250 words or less about why you’re seeking the White House—by Friday, Dec. 7. Then our judges will decide whether we consider you newsworthy.

If we like what you’ve got to say, we’ll cover your campaign and even notarize your nomination for free!

Our first contestant is Robert Mac, a comedian who calls Tucson home when he’s not out on the stand-up circuit.

Mac sent the following to Project White House:

Why I Want to Run for President

By Robert Mac (age 39 and a half) (almost)

The other day, my mom Pat came down to the garage even though she’s not allowed to without permission, and we were watching the news from Washington and she said at this rate I'm smart enough to be president. Why would she say that? Well, I’m always thinking about problems—I’m a problem thinker and I have the doctor’s note to prove it. And I’m old enough to be president: I’m 39 and a half almost.

I have a lot of good ideas. My brain is so dense with ideas. I don’t want to make it sound like I’m bragging, but I’m probably the densest candidate ever.

For instance, I know how to solve the immigration problem once and for all. My “Shorter Border Order” will bring income into our country AND make the border easier to protect. It’ll kill two birds with one stone. That’s just one idea.

My war plan will make fighting the war easier AND cheaper. I just killed another two birds.

I have simple plans to reduce global warming (everyone needs to run their air conditioning all the time with their windows open—doy!), fix the health care system, and scare away terrorists.

Plus, my Alaskan Energy Conservation plan will both supply oil AND get oil-producing countries off our back. Two more birds!

In summary, my mom Pat is right. I’m going to be a great president. So, vote for me: I kill birds!

Mac will be launching his campaign as part of this weekend’s Comedy Fiasco, which features a Christmas 2008 theme. (“Only 389 shopping days left. Standup, skits, songs, game shows with prizes and possible humiliation.”)

You should so totally go check out his act at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. Tickets are just $7.

And in the meantime, launch your own campaign with Project White House! E-mail us at ProjectWhiteHouse@tucsonweekly.com or drop a package into the mail to P.O. Box 27087, Tucson, AZ 85726.

Run, You, Run!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Your Photo Radar Update for Tuesday, Nov. 27

Posted By on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 2:59 PM

The Tucson Police Department's photo-radar van will be in the following areas on Tuesday, Nov. 27:

• 7 to 9 a.m.: 500 Block of East Glenn Street
  • 9:30 to 1:30 p.m.: On Flowing Wells near Miracle Mile
  • 2:30 to 8 p.m.: On Kino Parkway near 22nd Street

First 100 Will Receive Free Chick-Fil-A for a Year

Posted By on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM

This didn't make it into the Noshing Around column but I thought it was worthy of a mention.

Chick-fil-A will open its first two stand-alone restaurants in Tucson on Thursday, Nov. 29, giving away $26,000 in free Chick-fil-A food to the first 100 adults in line at both locations that morning. The new restaurants are located at 4585 N. Oracle Road and at 3605 E. Broadway Blvd (formerly Krispy Kremes).

A one-year supply of free Chick-fil-A Combo Meals (52 coupons) will be awarded to each of the first 100 adults, age 18 and older with identification, at each new stand-alone restaurant. The lines can begin forming up to 24 hours prior to the opening, with the prizes being given away on Nov. 29 between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. The restaurants will open immediately afterward.

I wonder if this will be a raving scene like In-N-Out Burger?

If you go, tell us what happens.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Your Photo Radar Update for Monday, Nov. 26:

Posted By on Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 7:24 PM

• 7 to 9 a.m.: School crossing on Escalante Road near Prudence Road
  • 9:30 to 1:30 p.m.: On Research Loop south of Golf Links Road
  • 2 to 4 p.m.: Desert Willow Elementary School, 9600 Block East Esmond Loop
  • 4:30 to 8 p.m.: On Valencia Road near Old Vail Road

Staff Pick

#NoDAPL Night Fundraiser

Support Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and Water Protectors. Art, music, film, food, and hot drinks at EXO… More

@ Exo Roast Co. Sat., Dec. 10, 6-10 p.m. 403 N. Sixth Ave.

» More Picks

Submit an Event Listing

Popular Content

1. Quick Bites: A Healthy Kind of Bar (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  2. Tucson Stained Glass Brings Color to the Old Pueblo (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  3. Gen. Michael Flynn, Conspiracy Tweeter and Trump Whisperer, Is a National Security Risk (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  4. Cinema Clips: Loving (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  5. The Weekly List: 25 Things To Do In The Next 10 Days (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)

© 2016 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation