Thursday, October 25, 2007

Insider Look

Posted By on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM

The Phoenix New Times has an in-depth look at the crazy shit that went down in Marciopa County last week, including details about the arrests of executive editor Mike Lacey and CEO Jim Larkin. Check it out.

Also, the judge in the case has released a whole bunch o' records and transcripts from the grand jury investigation, so there's more news on the way.

Your Photo Radar Update for Friday, Oct. 26

Posted By on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM

The Tucson Police Department's photo-radar van will be in the following areas on Friday, Oct. 26:

• 7 to 9 a.m.: School crossing on 22nd Street near Treat Avenue
  • 9 to 2 p.m.: On 22nd Street near Swan Road
  • 2 to 4:30 p.m.: Roskruge Bilingual Middle School, 500 Block E. Sixth Street
  • 4:30 to 8 p.m.: On Nogales Highway near Valencia Road

Hello and Jagshemash

Posted By on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

You might be interested in knowing that today, the country Kazakhstan is celebrating 17 years of sovereignty.

I wouldn’t even mention this--considering we sit here in Tucson thousands of miles away from this country that stretches over Eurasia—-except for one thing: Many of you scurried to the theater as I did last year to watch the Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

This movie was exciting for me, because it was banned in the country I grew up in, Saudi Arabia, as well as all of the other Arab nations (except Lebanon, because Lebanon is awesome). I couldn’t wait to watch the mockumentary in which actor/comedian Sacha Baron Cohen (sorry, I mean Borat Sagdiyev) traveled around the United States making fun of fraternity brothers, governors of the South, cowboys at the rodeo, an Evangelical church full of people speaking in tongue and some surfer dudes who he had screaming while they jumped off of a bus repeatedly. (That scene was phenomenal!)

Don’t think that I am hating on America (though it is healthy to laugh at what we have come to represent). Hell, the United States gives me an education, doesn’t make me cover my face (and the rest of my body) and offers me a great opportunities as a female. In the country I grew up in, Cohen could have have been beheaded.

However, it’s quite a tragedy the only thing we know about Kazakhstan is that this funny-looking guy named Borat is from there.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A New Dose of 'Weekly' Goodness

Posted By on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Online and making its way to a newsrack near you: The new issue of the Tucson Weekly!

Feel free to comment here on this week's issue. Unless you're gonna be a cretin or something.

Your Photo Radar Update for Thursday, Oct. 25

Posted By on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM

The Tucson Police Department's photo-radar van will be in the following areas on Thursday, Oct. 25:

• 7 to 9 a.m.: Walter Douglas Elementary School, 3300 Block N. Flowing Wells Road
  • 9 to 2 p.m.: On Campbell Avenue near Grant Road
  • 2 to 4:30 p.m.: Naylor Middle School, 1700 Block S. Columbus Boulevard
  • 4:30 to 8 p.m.: On Kolb Road near 22nd Street

Is San Diego Burning?

Posted By on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM

As a former Southern California resident, the Santa Ana winds have never been a friend of mine.

Look at this map of San Diego. I wonder what will be left.

And I wonder how the insurance companies will worm out of it? They always do. There are some insurance companies back East who are refusing to insure homes in hurricane zones.

Hassled By El Hombre

Posted By on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 1:25 PM

It's the time of the year when we all start thinking about the beaches in Las Conchas, down Rocky Point way. I won't be going this fall; got a trip to Metropolis instead.

You may recall that the TW Blog reported last spring that former TW staff writer Saxon Burns got popped for "driving angrily" on his way out of Puerto Penasco last year. It sounded like a cheap shakedown to us.

It appears that may be ongoing problem in Rocky Point, according to De Frente, a great resource for English translations of the Penasco news.

Such a shame to see paradise lost, little by little.

A Flower to "Pushing Daisies"

Posted By on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 9:44 AM

OK, so I've been meaning to write about Pushing Daisies since the debut, what, three weeks ago? Or is it four? I can't do the math.

Anyway, I've been remiss. The fourth episode is tonight, 7 p.m. on ABC. Channel 9 in our bioquadrant.

The premise? Hard to do justice. There's a piemaker who can bring people back to life with his touch. But there are consequences. And he solves crimes with his childhood sweetheart, but he can't touch her, or she'll die. Forever, this time.

I'm still not sure how they're going to keep it up, but the first three shows have been a spectacular mix of fantasy, comedy and drama. A fantadramedy! Added bonus: Enough sweetness to break your heart, or at least your pancreas. You might be able to find an episode somewhere around here, if you've got 42 minutes to spare.

The show is from Bryan Fuller, who has had a hand in everything from Dead Like Me to Heroes to the all-too-short-lived Wonderfalls (A thorn to the Fox execs who canceled the brilliant Wonderfalls after just a handful of episodes!)

Pushing Daisies has just been greenlit for a full season, so get in on it now. They just love it over at Television Without Pity.

Staff Pick

Where's Waldo Scavenger Hunt

Back in Tucson for the month of July. Those who spot Waldo (well, a 6" version of… More

@ Antigone Books July 19-31, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. 411 N. Fourth Ave.

» More Picks

Submit an Event Listing

Popular Content

1. Cosplay Confidential: Check Out These Outfits from Phoenix Comicon (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  2. Take 10 Minutes to Enjoy Jon Stewart's Visit to the Late Show (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  3. American Babylon: Interview with Michael Nelson, President of NAACP Cleveland (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  4. New Findings in a 'Living River' says Recently Released Report (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)
  5. Best of TucsonĀ® Voting Ends Next Week: 1,603 of You Haven't Finished Your Ballots (The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch)

© 2016 Tucson Weekly | 7225 Mona Lisa Rd. Ste. 125, Tucson AZ 85741 | (520) 797-4384 | Powered by Foundation