Proposition 107 proponents are decidedly unamused by a Web site, which, according to an article on azcentral.com, is a spoof. For those of you who don't know, Prop 107 is Protect Marriage Arizona, which would deny legal recognition of relationships outside traditional man-and-woman marriage.
Prop107.com asks people to take a "Straight Arizona Pledge" and outlines the Center for Arizona Policy's future legislative goal of defining the terms "man" and "woman" in the state constitution.
The Web site says such a definition would go something like this:
1. Be it enacted by the People of Arizona:
2. 1. Article: XXXI. Constitution of Arizona is proposed to be added
3. as follows if approved by the voters and on proclamation of the Governor:
4. ARTICLE XXXI. GENDER
5. OF ALL ARIZONA CITIZENS IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION
6. BY THE STATE, AND SHALL BE SUBJECT TO CONTEST BY
7. ANY OTHER CITIZEN BY FILING A DISPITE (sic) WITH THE
8. MINISTRY OF GENDER. THE MINISTRY OF GENDER HAS
9. FINAL AUTHORITY TO DETERMINE GENDER BY USING THE
10. PRESCRIBED METHODS IN THIS ARTCLE. GENDER MUST BE
11. VERIFIED BY THE MINISTRY OF GENDER PRIOR TO THE
12. ISSUANCE OF ANY MARRIAGE LICENSE.
13. 2. A man must have a natural and fully
14. functioning unaltered human penis and testicles. A
15. woman must have a natural and fully functioning
16. unaltered human vagina and ovaries.
17. 3. Upon contest filed by any other Arizona
18. citizen, the citizen in question must pay for a
19. mandatory genetic screening not to exceed $10,000. If
20. citizen refuses such screening, they will be
21. ineligable for marriage and referred to the Ministry of
22. Gender for gender restoration."
A poll on Prop107.com claims to show that out of 20,000 married Arizonans, 58 percent said their marriage was special to them "because gays can't have it." Similarly, 54 percent said the most likely thing to break up their marriages was "the legalization of gay marriage by activist judges"—with adultery, incarceration of a spouse, abuse and financial difficulties far less likely to cause a discontinuation of their marital bliss.
Check it out, because it could be gone soon. Nathan Sproul of the real Proposition 107 campaign is reportedly planning to ask the Secretary of State's Office to investigate.
See How They Run is an uproarious comedy set in the idyllic village of Merton-cum-Middlewick, England during… More